Friday, December 5, 2008

Book Reviews

I am in a book club and we get away from the kids for a night and maybe we even get a bite to eat and go to the cinema. It's a lot of fun and it also encourages us to read books that we would not otherwise read. So here are some books that I have read with the ladies and on my own, just because...

Secret Life of Bees by Sue Kidd
The movie was better!

For Sue Kidd's first book it was not a bad attempt. It was an easy read but the story and the characters lacked personality. It needed something extra, a decent plot in my opinion. Less time talking about bees and more character building.

The movie had some great actors, Dakota Fanning, Queen Latifah etc. If it was not for the stars in the movie, who acted it well, I think the film would have been a huge flop. Infact, I am surprised that it was picked up and made into a film. But what do I know?

Marley and Me by John Grogan
I really enjoyed this book. It is for the dog lover in mind. An easy read with lots of laughter and sadness along the way.

John Grogan, the author, actually had a dog like this and it is about his life with Marley, a large Lab. who is overly excitable. It is written almost like a journal with a story in mind. This too has been made into a film starring Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston. I think I will watch this one at home, not really a cinema flick.

A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews
I have just started reading this book and for me the beginning of the book makes it or breaks it. So far the start has kept me interested. I will review it once I have finished.

No comments: