Monday, March 12, 2012

Call the Midwife - Book

Another gift for my birthday is, Call the Midwife.  I love this book infact I plan to get more of Jennifer Worth books. I love the history and facts behind the stories. Actually some of it is a little hard to believe and things like back street abortions were happening late into the 50's. It is incredible to  read how far antenatal care has progressed in a short period of time and how the pill reduced birth rates and how social changes happened and affected people. 
Written in my grandparents era, it makes me wonder how women survived childbirth at all and survived some of the conditions placed upon them. Having read this book it makes me sad that my grandparents are not alive today so that I can ask them questions on their childhood, health care, conditions they lived in and so on. After reading this book I understand now why the elderly think we have it so easy and we do in many ways. We have bathrooms, running water, telephones, washing machines even dishwashers. However, it is also sad that family life and values have changes considerably and neighbourly tasks are somewhat a distant memory, we are lucky if we smile at ours or even get a smile back at times (well with at least one of them).
This is a great book to read and dare I say, better than the BBC series. A book that should be read at schools, it is all very well to read about all the Kings and Queens but even better to know what happened pre and post war.
Call The Midwife: A True Story Of The East End In The 1950s
Source picture by amazon.co.uk 

No comments: