Monday, March 9, 2015

What is in your beauty products?

I finally decided to end my subscription with Ipsy. Why? Like I have said before, I don't wear a lot of make-up therefore I don't need a lot of beauty products and finally because I am shocked by how many chemicals are added to lipsticks, blusher, mascara, face-masks and so-called natural products. I do not want to have thousands of chemicals on me nor in me.

Added to my need to reduce the amount of toxins entering into my own body I have two beautiful girls who look up to me and I need to set an example. My limited beauty regime has sparked an interest with one of my girls, after all, the packaging is pretty and eye-shadows and lipsticks come in an array of beautiful colours. . Every little girl wants to be like her mum (at least at the beginning).

Initially, the reason for not encouraging my girls make-up habit started off as not wanting them to think about the way they look and how others see them. But there is more to it I needed to take a serious look at what was being put into the cosmetics I placed upon my body and theirs.

I thought purchasing Lush products would be a good start, nice smelling bath bubbles, shampoo and a lip balm. Little did I know that these products are not all as they seem. Yes they are hand-made, use fresh ingredients, against animal cruelty and use less packaging, they never claim they are fully natural nor organic, however this is not to say that they are harmful or at least there are few harmful ingredients making them a better choice than most. Body Shop is similar to Lush, all good causes; not testing on animals, less packaging and so on.

This one horrifies me. You know those micro-beads that exfoliate the skin and have also been put into toothpastes? They are made of plastic! Not only are they going onto your skin to clear dead cells they are going into the water supply and are having damaging ecological effects. I had no idea. What next?

If you love your beauty products you must watch this video, presented by Heather White. What she discusses is frightening and women are being blasted with toxins more than men, you will see why when you watch it. She is one of the reasons why I have decided to rethink my beauty purchases.

If this video does not change your mind about what you put on your body (and your child(s)) I am not sure what will.


So in search of natural and organic where possible I went onto the internet. It is actually very difficult because the search-engine is dominated by the well known beauty companies paying the large amounts of money to be listed highly on the internet but sifting through it all I did find some.

Companies.
Saje, Canadian owned. Natural remedies for headaches, colds and other ailments. They produce soaps, deodorants, skin products etc. They do not do make-up,
Rocky Mountain Soap Co. Canadian co. Similar to Lush in its range of products but they claim to be toxin free and their products smell amazing.
Gabriele Cosmetic are gluten free and organic, can be found at Pomme Natural store.
Eminence ; started in Hungary in 1958. Handmade organic skincare products that I have yet to try but I can't wait to get my hands on it.
Logona Cosmetics UK has a large selection of products and may have to have them shipped to me.

Interesting articles worth reading.
Dangerous Beauty posted on Joyous Blog, written by Kate McDonald Walker talks about the history of beauty products and just how dangerous they were and are.
The Guardian, a UK publication writes about Phthalates are everywhere. This is a really good read.

Apps. 
I don't use many apps but this one looks like a winner.
A useful app by Think Dirty. Scan the bar code to see an easy to read ingredients list and if there is a better less harmful comparison that will be suggested to you.
If you know of any good apps I would love to hear them.

I hope this helps you to rethink your beauty rituals and help you to make better more informed decisions. It is not easy, I know, but some of the diseases we see in the western world are preventable by changing our habits.

My apathy with my make-up and not plastering cosmetics onto my body has been a blessing.

No comments: